First time I heard about Broccoli oil on hair, I was very surprised! Thinking , how to get oil from Broccoli? Then, few searches later, I found out that in fact the oil is made from the seeds. This oil is known to be really good on frizzy hair so, I let you guess the sudden interest growing in me 🙂
Having frizzy/curly or afro hair demands a lot of care. Hair have a tendency to be more fragile and thin.
This vegetable which is a relative to other leafy greens such as cabbage, spinach and Brussels sprouts actually has some incredible benefits for our hair!
Healthy hair requires certain vital nutrients to be delivered to the follicles.
This includes Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B5, vitamin B12, iron, niacin, zinc, sulphur, silica and germanium to be delivered to the hair follicles. Dark green leafy vegetables like broccoli are super food for hair and their consumption strengthens the hair at the roots. This is how broccoli can benefit the hair, from stylecraze.com.
- Promotes Hair Growth
Broccoli contains vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium which promote hair growth. Vitamins A and C stimulate the production of sebum, an oil based secretion that acts as a natural moisturizer and conditioner for scalp and hair whereas calcium strengthens the hair follicles.
- Strengthens the Hair Follicles
Broccoli seed oil extracted from the seeds of broccoli is particularly beneficial for hair and skin. This natural oil is packed with hair-nourishing vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin B6 that make your hair strong and silky smooth, while eliminating hair frizz.
- Combats Hair Loss
The antioxidants in broccoli seed oil, particularly vitamin C prevent hair loss by eliminating the free radicals, thus contributing to healthier and thicker hair. B vitamins such as vitamin B6 help in reducing stress, a factor that can contribute to hair loss. These vitamins support mental and physical health which in turn supports a healthy hair system. In addition to these, broccoli contains a powerful substance that can inhibit dihydrotestosterone or DHT which is closely related to hair loss and thinning.
- Imparts Luster and Sheen
Broccoli seed oil contains a unique fatty acid composition that is similar to silicone found in shampoos which is responsible for imparting shine to your hair. Also known as erucic acid, this omega-9 fatty acid gives your hair a smooth natural sheen without leaving residue of harmful detergents or chemicals in your hair follicles. Thus, it has an advantage over commercial shampoos and conditioners in this respect.
Not only can your hair benefit from eating broccoli, but using broccoli seed oil topically in hair products has some great hair benefits as well. Broccoli Seed Oil is rich in hair-nourishing vitamins, such as vitamin C and B6, which can keep your hair strong and silky smooth. This oil is straight from the broccoli seeds which are responsible for growing the vegetable
Broccoli Seed Oil contains a unique fatty acid composition that makes it similar to the silicone you will find in shampoos. Called erucic acid, this special omega-9 fatty acid helps give your hair a smooth, natural sheen without loading your follicles with harmful detergents or chemicals.
NUTRIMENTS contained in Broccoli Seed Oil
Aside from containing erucic acid, broccoli seed oil has many, many benefits that can smooth out dry or frizzy hair. This is why it’s great for your hair, according to Emtage Beauty.
- It contains vitamin C. When it’s not helping eliminate the free radicals that can contribute to cancer, the antioxidants in broccoli seed oil can help prevent hair loss. As a result, people who get enough vitamin C usually have thicker, healthier hair.
- It contains vitamin B6. B vitamins can help reduce stress, a factor that can contribute to hair loss. It’s also a part of a spectrum of vitamins that support physical and mental health. When those are in check, your body can support a healthy hair system.
- It contains a powerful substance that has to power to inhibit dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. Why is DHT important? Because DHT has been correlated with hair loss and thinning hair–definitely two things you don’t want!
I have bought mine from Biopurus and I love it. The oil must be kept in the fridge.
Biggest benefits of using this oil is its use as a silicone substitute
It’s pretty awesome isn’t it? I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, when used correctly silicones can be of great help in your hair regimen. However, not having to worry about soluble and insoluble silicones and the use of drying shampoos to remove them is surely a plus. Those of you who have been avoiding silicone like the plague or use it sparingly for all the “wrongs” they can do to natural hair will be pleased to know about this yellow-greenish oil. Here are some of the benefits of using broccoli seed oil in your hair care.
- MIMICS SILICONES – the high content of erucic fatty acid in broccoli seed oil when used for hair care imitate the behaviour and purpose of silicones in hair products. Broccoli seed oil leaves a light film around the hair strand that imparts the hair with shine and luster and prevents hair frizz.
- PROTECTION – The antioxidant properties of vitamin C, which is high in broccoli, offer protection from free radicals and prevent premature aging.
- LIGHT & NON-GREASY – With 50% erucic acid (Omega-9), this oil is very light and non-greasy which means that it’s easily absorbed, accelerating moisture to the hair and skin.
- LONG SHELF LIFE – When used in DIY concoctions you’ll be pleased to know that broccoli seed oil has a long shelf life (2 years minimum) due to its antioxidant content. Its quick absorption also helps you concoctions feel less greasy. Store it in a dark place away from light.
- HAIR LOSS – using cold pressed broccoli seed oil will help prevent hair loss since this vegetable contains a substance that blocks DHT (dihydrotestosterone), a hormone responsible for hair loss and thinning and closely linked with male baldness.
- HEALTHY HAIR – This little wonder oil has 80-85% of polyunsaturated fats that are rich in omega fatty acids and are essential for healthy hair preventing dry and brittle hair and promoting hair growth.
HOW TO USE IT
You can squeeze a pea-sized amount of it into your hand and distribute it throughout your hair, using your palms. If you have dry hair, try concentrating the oil on the ends of the hair to prevent split ends or breakage.